Tazlure: the Yuletide Quest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

By the pale moonlight [Late 30th Yulember]

4 posters

Go down

By the pale moonlight [Late 30th Yulember] Empty By the pale moonlight [Late 30th Yulember]

Post by Hex da`Bergliin Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:40 pm

As tradetide moved to eveningtide Hex called for the small party to stop and make a camp.

"If there is something out there we do not want them to know we are coming. Make your fire, eat your food and then lets put it out before the night rolls in and our fire becomes a beacon"

There was a wrongness, a sense of foreboding the further they had moved south. They could not make as good a time as Hex had hoped as they had to be careful on the trail.

If there was something going to happen Hex wanted to be ready. While others took to their personal care she took the time to stretch and move through some sparing moves to loosen her muscles.
Hex da`Bergliin
Hex da`Bergliin

Back to top Go down

By the pale moonlight [Late 30th Yulember] Empty Re: By the pale moonlight [Late 30th Yulember]

Post by Lokisk Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:56 am

Lokisk laid down a freshly caught hare in the snow as he began to gather some kindling together for the fire, beside a large rock. The winds had died down a little, but it is remained cold, and would only get colder as night fell. Lokisk didn't really know this territory that well, and suspected that if the night didn't bring with it the sounds of drums and the signs of activity they sought, it might be better to head back. He'd not planned for an expedition. There were things at the cabin which might have proved useful. More rations, for a start. It was not certain how much they could rely on finding food out here.

It took a while for Lokisk to get the fire started, but as the flames leapt into being he made sure there was enough kindling to feed them. Looking up he checked how the others fared.

Lokisk
Lokisk

Back to top Go down

By the pale moonlight [Late 30th Yulember] Empty Re: By the pale moonlight [Late 30th Yulember]

Post by Lokisk Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:17 pm

OOC: I've phrased it as if Lokisk is expecting anyone to jump in, but as Hex and Lokisk have been more active in the other thread I suggest we let the others catch up there, whilst Lokisk and Hex catch up here by the fireside.
Lokisk
Lokisk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hex da`Bergliin Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:44 pm

OOC: For the record, anyone can jump in here including all those shiny new characters out there Smile We don't bite, well Lokisk doesn't... Smile
Hex da`Bergliin
Hex da`Bergliin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokisk Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:12 pm

OOC: Hah!
Lokisk
Lokisk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hex da`Bergliin Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:48 pm

Hex watched as Lokisk set about his business with the fire. He had been proficient in snaring fresh game but she could see the concern on his face as he skinned it.

" You should have more confidence in your skills to glean from the land. Even if you fail, which I doubt, I have enough jerked meat to see this through."

Hex crouched into a squat. Taking off her gauntlets she flexed her fingers.

" My concern is for your warmth. That fire is going to be a beacon in the night. I would also like to keep moving after we eat and rest."

Hex looked to the horizon and the surrounding land.

" It is going to get cold but we need to go south to find the source of the drums. I know not what it is but if it is something the town needs to be warned of at least one of us needs to make it back."
Hex da`Bergliin
Hex da`Bergliin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokisk Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:04 am

Lokisk smiled at Hexes concern. "Don't worry," he said, with a faint smile, "this isn't my first winter. Nor is it my first time out under the stars in this weather. This cloak should keep me warm enough. We can pack some of this snow against the rocks, try to keep the warmth contained, and the wind off us." Lokisk glanced over at the others. "Hopefully they're bearing up okay."

Lokisk turned his attention away from their companions and looked out across the snow. "If I honest I'm starting to wonder whether the sound of drumming was conjured up by some sort of magic. Shouldn't we have found something by now? But there's been no sign of anyone other than ourselves. I've not come this far south before, even in the milder months, but I'm pretty sure the coastline can't be much further. What if there's nothing to be found between here and the sea?"

Inwardly Lokisk hadn't minded the journey, though he imagined it might've taken less time if he'd been travelling alone. He'd warmed to Hex, but had not gotten to know the others as well as he might have. He wasn't entirely sure he wanted to be friends with Wigmore in any case. His moods were unpredictable, and he'd found it safer to just keep his distance.

Lokisk took off his gloves to briefly rub his hands together, to warm them in the immediate heat of the fire. As he lost himself in thoughts of where he might be otherwise, wondering whether the drums would sound again, he settled for watching the flames dance and the crackle of kindling and fat from the slowly cooking meat. The flickering light picked out the intricately carved pattern on the wooden ring he wore on one finger.
Lokisk
Lokisk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hex da`Bergliin Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:37 am

Hex smiled as Lokisk spoke of being able to handle the cold. She already knew that he was a survivor by the skills he had shown but she needed conformation and to hear the confidence in his voice.

Dusk had fully taken the light and the moon had started to cast it's light and shadow game upon the snow. Hex handed Lokisk some of her jerked meat. "Just in case" she said. His rabbits had been good but if they needed to run there would be no time to set traps.

Dousing their fire she prepared to head off south again. Looking over her shoulder to the others, "We are going south, stay here, go back or follow, the choice is yours, but we are going now."

With that she nodded to Lokisk to head out, never looking back.

"I know not what we are walking into. If it is truly bad and a threat to the isle we will need to warn the town. We should plan for a flight back rather than a fight here, unless by chance it is some really nice guy with a magic drum, but some how I doubt that. I will need you with me if we are to send that warning. Your skin may be pale but at least it looks like proper skin."

Hex chuckled. The wind whipped at her braids, the snow crunched under their feet and the drums kept rhythm, so very much, much closer than before.
Hex da`Bergliin
Hex da`Bergliin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokisk Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:39 pm

Lokisk pocketed the meat and put his gloves back on as Hex doused the fire. Was that the drums again? Lokisk glanced up, towards where he imagined the noise must be coming from, as Hex addressed the others. Hurriedly collecting together his belongings, ensuring he wasn't leaving anything behind, he rose to his feet.

Hex was heading off, talking as she walked, and Lokisk hurried to keep up. Looking back momentarily to see what the others did, he wondered if it were just Hex and himself who had any stake in this.
Lokisk
Lokisk

Back to top Go down

Post by eyes Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:48 am

"This is no time to be out in the frozen wilderness unprepared" thought Eyes.

He was awaiting what the drums brought and he wanted to be on his own turf when they came.

"You two go on if you wish" Eyes said to Hex and Lokisk, "I am back to my sheep".

With that, Eyes stood up, cracked the ice that had formed on his leather and started walking back the way they had come.
eyes
eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Hex da`Bergliin Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Hex stopped and looked back when Eyes spoke up. Her face never changed expression as he stood and started back north along the path they came down.

Lokisk was beside her. She did not need to look at him to know what he was thinking. Niamh had grown very quiet. Perhaps she was afraid, perhaps she was just cautious, perhaps she just did not see the trade in doing this.

It did not matter, the path lay south by one, two or three it did not matter.
Hex da`Bergliin
Hex da`Bergliin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokisk Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:51 am

OOC: Posting just to push the story forward an inch/to give Hex something to react to. :-)

Lokisk stopped walking momentarily, and watched the older man walk off. Somewhat incredulous that Wigmore had walked out all this way in the freezing winds, and then turned back with barely a word.

"What the hell...?" Lokisk muttered, although as much to acknowledge aloud that this seemed crazy than as shock. "He came all this way and now... his sheep?" Looking at Hex, to gauge her reaction, he shook his head slightly. "It's like he had no interest at all. Like he was just doing this to kill some time. I swear... he's crazy!"

Looking back towards Niamh he saw that she didn't seem to be responding to much of anything. Perhaps the cold had been too much? He wondered if he should wrap his cloak around her for a moment, until she felt a bit more human. Damn that old crazy bastard for not walking her back towards town with him.
Lokisk
Lokisk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hex da`Bergliin Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:21 pm

OOC: Sure. We can start heading south. If / when Niamh returns she can join us. We might as well move this along as we seemed to have stagnated

Hex chuckled at Lokisk. He was obviously flabbergasted that someone would opt in to the journey and then go running back to sheep. "Perhaps he just really loves his sheep. I don't think that one is all quite there."

Hex looked around at the darkening sky.

"I keep setting off and we keep getting delayed. The night grows longer, the drums grow louder and my patience grows short. It is time we left."

Hex da`Bergliin
Hex da`Bergliin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hex da`Bergliin Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:29 pm

OOC: I am going to put up a new thread to keep us moving forward with Hex and Lokisk
Hex da`Bergliin
Hex da`Bergliin

Back to top Go down

Post by eyes Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Eyes trudged back through the snow, the ice formed on top of it as the temperature had plummeted.

Something wasn't right with those two he'd left behind, something he couldn't put his finger on.  His joints were aching now.  Regardless of how much stretching he did, the cold always bit like a ravenous dog on a cadaver.

On and on he walked, sometimes catching the faint beat of drums on the night wind, sometimes nothing but him and his thoughts which flitted from his sheep to his family....It'd do him no good thinking of them now.  All that mattered was the here and now...and maybe the drums, depending on who was beating them and for what cause.

The moonlight lit the landscape, bouncing off the frozen snow and finally he came to his home, his shed, his place.  He walked through the door and taking off his belt and scabbard he set to tearing bales of hay into huge handfulls and throwing it to his sheep, their noise cutting the silence like a scream in a dungeon.  He'd build his fire in a second against the shed wall, get some warmth for him and his new family to hunker down for the night.
eyes
eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by eyes Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:15 pm

It had been days since Eyes had seen anyone.  The drums hadn't been heard again and Saturday nights mushrooms had left Eyes feeling one step back.

It had been so very cold these last 11 nights, so cold that his eye socket had begun to hurt, a first.

Eyes sat in his barn, the wind whistling through.  He was ok though, as Esmerelda and Genevive, two of his fattest ewes were hunkered down alongside him.  The meat in a ewe sandwich, marvellous.

He was just nodding off in his warmth when he heard them.  They had returned.  The drums, but this time, there were more of them.
eyes
eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Maeve Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:46 am

The environment was cold and quiet. Not even a snowfox interrupted the company. IN a way it was a blessing for their camp might have attracted attention.

When nightfall came, the distant drums took up again, reminding all the travellers why they were travelling south.
Maeve
Maeve
Admin

http://www.tazlure.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down